Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Keeping a Gift Log?

As a kid growing up my dad had 2 favorite shows.... "Star Trek" and "Perry Mason"! Both good shows, but as a little girl I am not ashamed to say that I was not usually a willing participant for watching. Star Trek always stared out with a "Captains Log", which sounds very important to the mission at hand "To Boldly Go Where No Man has Gone Before! lol! 

Being a mother of two boys (7 and 10) I am finding that my kids automatically assume I know what they want when it comes time for a birthday or Christmas. Its actually my own fault, since they were little I was always tricking them into telling me what they wanted, or I would go out and buy it waaaaaaaaay in advance so I wouldn't forget. As little babies and toddlers you can even get away with buying their presents while in their presence! They get so distracted by everything in the store that they tend not to look at what you are sly-fully placing on the bottom rack of the cart. 
(Oh, that is why they put that rack there!)

Now since I cant mind read, and I'm now in a place where everything I touch or even look at in a store is judged, and meticulously criticized by my own flesh and blood!
There is no way to maneuver a skillful secret purchase. So I have managed to make my own system. On days when we are in stores, I often allow the boys to go to the toy section to "LOOK"! I follow them around with my camera, like a stalker! (But DON'T worry, I'm their mom) Its sounds hilarious and ridiculous, but it works! I literally follow my own kids around like a creeper, and snap photos when I see its something that peaks their interest.
(gift log sample)

After a week or so of documenting all our journeys through Target, Walmart, TJ Maxx, Ross,  Walgreens, and any other store on the planet. I sit down with Tim and we sift through my "Christmas Gift Log"! We don't get them everything, but we pick out what items are going to get the most use. After sifting, I then budget for any supplies I need for DIY gifts! Thats right! I also make gifts for my boys, lol! 
But I'm certain this method wont last too much longer and pretty soon it will just be a demand for iPhones or a car and then it will dwindle down to ............ cash! 
Happy shopping everyone! (I stand by my previous post...... craft a gift they cant find in stores)

No comments:

Post a Comment